Licences and PERMITS

Whether  you’re looking to fly for fun, or looking to make a career out of flying, youll start by obtaining either a Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP) or a Private Pilot Licence (PPL).

Below, you will find detailed information about each qualification.

Associated times and costs are based on Transport Canada minimum times (CAR 421.220) and are subject to applicable taxes. The actual costs of obtaining the permit will vary with individual student progress. It is recommended that students complete training in as short a time frame as possible to increase retention between lessons. Costs are paid on a per-flight basis and are charged based on flight time. The written exam, flight test, medical, and associated processing fees are not included in these figures.


If you are looking to fly solely for pleasure, obtaining a Recreational Pilot Permit is a less expensive alternative to obtaining a Private Pilot Licence (PPL). A RPP allows you to fly single engine aircraft, like our club’s 172, and carry one passenger. Holders of a RPP may fly during the day and in VFR weather conditions. It is also a good option for those wanting to start in aviation, as it is an easy upgrade to a PPL later on.


  • Be a Canadian Citizen or a Landed Immigrant
  • Be at least 14 years old to fly solo, and at least 16 years old for the permit to be issued
  • Hold a Category 4 Medical or higher


  • Minimum of 25 hours flight time including dual and solo
  • Pass the Transport Canada Written Test and Flight Test for the RPP
  • Although not required, ground school is highly recommended


Books and Supplies$345
Aircraft Rental (10 hrs solo)$1,740
Aircraft Rental (15 hrs dual)$3,660
Pre/Post-Flight Briefings (15 hrs)$1050
Approximate Total Cost$6,795 +HST
Ground School (Optional)$345 + HST


If you are looking to fly for pleasure, the Private Pilot Licence affords you with more privileges than the Recreational Pilot Permit. With a PPL you may carry as many passengers as the aircraft can accommodate and fly during the day in VFR weather conditions. Holders of a PPL can add ratings to their licence which allow them to fly at night, in bad weather, on floats, or on multi-engine aircraft.

If you intend on pursuing a career as a pilot, obtaining your PPL will be your first step. Pilots must hold a PPL before obtaining a Commercial Pilot Licence, the licence required to be employed as a pilot.


  • Be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, or International Student
  • Be at least 14 years old for solo, 17 years old for issue of licence
  • Hold a Category 3 Medical or higher


  • Minimum of 45 hours flight time including dual and solo
  • Pass the Transport Canada Written Exam and Flight Test for the PPL
  • Minimum of 40 hours ground school instruction


Books and Supplies$345
Ground School Tuition$345
Aircraft Rental (20 hrs solo)$3,480
Aircraft Rental (25 hrs dual)$6,100
Pre/Post-Flight Briefings (15 hrs)$1,050
Approximate Total Cost$12,020 + HST


If you are completing a PPL, or a RPP and choose to complete the ground school, you will need to decide what order you wish to do your
training in. The ground school component can be completed before, during, or after the flight training portion, and this is entirely up to you; for the PPL, the only stipulation is that it must be completed before you will be issued your licence. Visit the Ground School section of our website for more information on sessions.

Flight training consists of dual training, where you fly the aircraft with an instructor, and solo training, where you practice flying the aircraft on your own. Before every flight, you will sit down with your instructor for a pre-flight briefing, covering what exercises are to be taught, weather conditions, and safety concerns. The average training flight is about an hour long, and you will spend most of that time practicing exercises that are demonstrated by the instructor. Both you and the instructor have full sets of controls in front of your seats. During the first few flights, the instructor will handle taking off and landing, but you’ll be able to take control once the plane has reached cruise altitude. Just a few lessons after that, you will be learning to take off and land yourself!

Once you are comfortable and safe with the airplane, usually after about 10 of air lessons, your instructor will send you for an experience you will remember for the rest of your life… your first solo flight. It’s just a short flight, but any pilot will tell you that their first solo was one of the most exciting and memorable experiences of their life. Before you can go for your first solo you must have:

  • obtained your medical,
  • passed the radio licence exam, and
  • passed the pre-solo (PSTAR) exam.

After you have gone solo, the remainder of your training will be a combination of dual training to learn more advanced drills, and solo flying to practice what you have learned. Once your instructor signs you off, you will complete a practical flight test with an examiner – sort of like a driving test. If you are successful with the flight test and also pass the PPL written exam (PPAER), then you will be issued with your licence.